Frequently Asked Questions

 Water and Wastewater
How is my Water and Sewer bill calculated?

For a detailed breakdown of your bill is calculated visit our Water and Sewer Billing web page.

 What is a "Fixed Charge" on my bill?

Your water and sewer bill contains a combination of both fixed charges and usage charges. Fixed charges allow the municipality to ensure that it has the money required to maintain and service all of the pipes, pumping stations and water treatment plant costs.

Most municipalities with water and sewer systems use a combination of fixed and usage charges in their billing so that people who use more, pay more, but also that the entire system can be maintained to the legislative requirements set by the Province.
More information is available on our Water and Sewer Billing web page.

 Why is my bill higher than when I lived in another Municipality?
With a smaller number of households connected to the water and sewer systems compared to larger cities, the fixed charges that cover the cost of maintaining the system are covered by fewer households. As of 2023, there are approximately 975 households connected to our water and sewer systems. The Water and Wastewater charges are based on the Water & Wastewater Financial Plan and the Rate Study. These services are user paid and therefore do not affect the municipal property tax rates.
 Where does the money go?

The money recovered with water and sewer billing goes towards the cost to maintain the water and wastewater systems. If costs are lower than expected in a given year, this money is held in reserves to fund future costs of maintenance and/or replacement of equipment within the two systems.  

 Why do I have to pay for the water system?
As a user of the system, you will be paying towards the treatment and maintenance of your drinking water and your wastewater.
 Does the new subdivision affect my bill?
The new growth within Millbrook does not affect individual bills. With more users being put onto the water and sewer systems the cost to maintain these systems are shared with a larger number of households. Unfortunately, because a lot of the infrastructure in the village is very old, there is a lot of future repair and work that needs to be done on our system. So adding more users in new subdivisions is really only going to help share these costs.
What is the best way to reduce my bill?
Ways to reduce your bill may include but aren’t limited to not watering your lawn, not washing your vehicle or installing low flow toilets and faucets. The Township has a rebate program for installing low flow toilets.  For more information please visit our “Water Saving Tips”. 
Does everyone in Millbrook pay the same rate?
Every household in Millbrook pays the same fixed charges, however metered charges vary based on usage.
 If I have questions regarding my bill, who do I call?
You can call the Public Works Clerk 705-932-9323, or the Water and Wastewater Technician 705-932-9348 for any questions regarding billing and water.  
 How often will I receive my bill?
The billing cycle is once every two months (6 bills/year). Bills are issued in February, April, June, August, October, and December. See the Water and Sewing Billing page for more information. 
How can I pay for my bill?
You can pay your water and sewer bill by mail, in person or through the Drop Off Box at the Municipal Office or by Telephone/On-line Banking. There is a Pre-Authorized Payment Plan option available as well. More information is available on our payment options page.  

How do I set up a water and wastewater billing account?

Prior to moving in, please call or email the Township to schedule a meter reading for the property. You can contact the Public Works Clerk (905-932-9323), or the Water and Wastewater Technician (905-932-9348). To set up your account please fill out the New Customer Form.  If you are a tenant, the owner is required to fill out an authorization form.  

There is a $60 fee for creating a new water and sewer account.

 As a property owner, how can I arrange for my tenant to have an account?

Tenants may have the water and sewer bills sent directly to them with written authorization from the property owner. Property owners are responsible for notifying the Township of any new changes of tenancy to set up new accounts.
Property owners are responsible for any unpaid balances. An Authorization Form must be completed and the new tenant must also complete a Move-In form. These forms are on the Water and Sewer billing section of the website. 

 Where can I find more info on billing services?
More information about billing can be found on the website or by calling/emailing the Public Works Department at 705-932-9323
 Who do I call if there are issues with my water meter?
If there is an issue with your meter, please contact the Water and Wastewater Technician at 705-932-9348. They will schedule a time to inspect your meter.
 How does the Township know how much water I used?
Your water usage is measured by the water meter connected to the water pipe that comes into your house that is connected to the watermain in the street. The water meter is connected to a transmitter on the outside of the house. The Township reads that transmitter and can see the water usage.
 I’m moving, what do I do?

If you have sold your house or you’re a tenant moving out, you must complete a Moving Out Form before the move-out date. You can also visit the Township office and complete the form in person.

If you are a tenant, the landlord must complete the landlord authorization form. A final meter read will be completed at the property and a final bill will be sent out during the next billing cycle. Please be aware the Township must be notified before the move-out date. If notification is not provided additional charges may be incurred, and a late meter reading will result in consumption variances.

 Why does my bill say “Estimated”?
If your bill says “estimated”, it means that the Township wasn’t able to read your meter properly. This could be due to your meter not working properly. Estimated readings are based off of the average water usage for a household in Millbrook. Once an “actual” read has been obtained, if you were overbilled based on the estimation you will have a credit on your account. If you were under billed you may receive a one-time larger than normal bill to account for the missed usage.
 Why is the water so hard?
The source for Millbrook’s drinking water is from groundwater well. This means there are a higher amount of dissolved minerals i.e calcium and magnesium within the water that can cause the water to be “hard”. Hard water poses no risk to public health
 Snow Removal
 What happens when it starts to snow?

The Township of Cavan Monaghan currently has a road patrol that monitors road conditions on all Township and County Roads from November to the end of March. Depending upon the timing and nature of the pending storm, crews are brought in and put on stand-by. Once the storm starts, sand trucks are sent out on designated routes to apply sand as necessary.  Operator call-ins on a winter storm event is 4:00 a.m. both during the week and on weekends.  In order to minimize winter maintenance costs, operators are only called in specifically on bad storm events.  Routine winter maintenance and clean up is usually completed during regular working hours. 

 Why do I never see a sand truck or a snow plow when it snows?
It all depends upon where you live. Primary roads as defined by traffic volumes, emergency routes and bus routes are addressed first followed by secondary less travelled roads.
 Why does it take so long for my road to be plowed?

The municipality has approximately 235km of roads to maintain or about 470km lanes of road.  At the onset of a storm, Staff prepare the roads by applying sand or salt to all routes to give drivers more traction.  Sand/salt trucks typically travel a little faster than snow plows averaging about 35km/hour.  It would take one truck about 7 hours to sand one side of all of the roads in the Township; 14 hours to cover both travel lanes.  As snow accumulates, snow plows are dispatched when a depth of about 8cm or 3 inches is reached.   Snow plows travel slightly slower at about 30km/hour.  To cover all roads in the Township it would take about 8 hours or 16 hours for both lanes.

According to the Highway Traffic Act, a snowplow operator can work 13 hours.  After that they cannot drive again in the same day and must have a minimum of 8 hours off duty before another shift can be started.  This can be challenging during a full call-out for operators in a storm situation.  The Municipality must prioritize roads for snow removal.  Main routes or main arterial roads that are travelled most are addressed first followed by roads in subdivisions and neighbourhoods. 

Why don’t we plow and sand/salt all the streets in the Township, specifically secondary and residential streets?
We do! However as noted above, primary roads as defined by traffic volumes, emergency routes and bus routes are addressed first followed by secondary less travelled roads. This balanced approach reduces both equipment costs and sand/salt usage. The Township currently exceeds the minimum standard for road maintenance as defined in the Highway Traffic Act and this balanced approach has proven to be the most efficient use of tax dollars while still minimizing environmental damage.
 Why do the plows always push snow into my driveway?
While Staff understand that this is completely frustrating, unfortunately it cannot be helped. The snow must be removed from the travelled portion of the road. When the Township receives a heavy snowfall, if possible, do not shovel your driveway until after the plow has gone by. If you must shovel do not throw the snow out onto the roadway as you may create a hazard for another vehicle, and if an accident were to occur you might be held liable.
 Who removes the snow from sidewalks?
The Township maintains 9,202 metres of sidewalks. Residents and owners/tenants of commercial properties are encouraged to remove snowfall or formation of ice in front of their property immediately following a snow fall. Clear sidewalks are essential for many citizens especially those with disabilities, people who enjoy walking as a form of exercise and children who walk to and from school.
 Why do you always plow snow against my car?
The Township must remove the snow from the travelled portion of the road. On a two-way street, the plow operator cannot push the snow away from the parked car into oncoming traffic, as it would create a hazard and liability. Snow is always pushed away from oncoming traffic. By-law 2019-25 prohibits overnight parking in Millbrook Ward between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. When heavy snowfalls are predicted, residents are asked to not park on the roads. This is done to reduce the chance of plowing in parked vehicles, eliminating the chance of damaging vehicles and allowing for a more efficient plowing operation.
What can residents do to help?
  1. Be patient – In heavy snow falls, it takes us longer to get all streets clear.
  2. Leave room for plows - When you see the flashing lights on the winter maintenance equipment, remain a safe distance behind them. Also, never pass a snow plow. This is an extremely dangerous practice.
  3. Keep parked cars off streets wherever possible. By-law 2019-25 prohibits overnight parking in Millbrook Ward between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. 
  4. Keep fire hydrants clear and visible.
  5. Throw snow on your lawn, not on the street. Shoveling snow back onto the street creates unsafe road conditions for motorists and is prohibited by the Highway Traffic Act

What can I do when my mailbox is struck by the plow?

If your mailbox is damaged by a snow plow, you may be eligible for a reimbursement of a new mailbox for up to $35. Please contact the Public Works Clerk for more information: 705-932-9323.

Please note: Mailboxes that are damaged or dislodged by the direct weight and force of snow thrown from the plow are not eligible for reimbursement.

 Planning and Development
 What is my zoning?
The zoning of a property regulates how a property can be developed and implements the objectives and policies of the Township Official Plan.  The Zoning By-law states exactly:
  • how land may be used
  • where buildings and other structures can be located
  • the types of buildings that are permitted and how they may be used
  • the lot sizes and dimensions, parking requirements, building heights and setbacks from the street
 How do I find out the zoning of my property?

You can find the zoning of your property:

 Is there any way to get a variance from the zoning regulations? How do I get one?
Variances from the existing zoning are possible. Applications for a variance are considered by the Committee of Adjustment. Read our minor variance brochure to learn more about the process.
 Can I run a business out of my home?
Yes but limitations apply depending on the zoning of your property.  Section 11.14 and 11.15 of the Township's Zoning By-law outline General Provisions for home-based businesses and home-based industries.  
 Can I get a severance on my property?
Severances/consents may be given for the creation of new lots, boundary adjustments, rights-of-way, easements, long term leases and to convey additional lands to an abutting lot, provided an undersized lot is not created.  An application to sever your property is processed through the Upper Tier Municipality which is the County of Peterborough.  The County will complete a free Preliminary Severance Review to review your proposed severance and let you know if what you plan to do conforms to the relevant planning policies and makes you aware of any issues.  More information is available through the County of Peterborough's website or by calling the Planning Department at 705-743-0380.
 What are setbacks?
 Setbacks are minimum distances a building must be located from the lot lines and the road.  Setback distances apply to the rear, side and front yards and are set out in the Township's Zoning By-law.  
How do I find or get a survey of my property?
If you require a survey of your property, please contact the Peterborough Land Registry Office (No. 45) by calling 705-755-1342 or visiting the LRO website.
Where do I find information about the well on my property?
If you require a record of your well, please visit the Ministry of Environment and Energy Ministry of Environment and Energy mapped well records website or for general information regarding wells, the MOEE general information website.
Where do I find information about the septic system on my property?
If you require a record of your septic system, please visit the Peterborough Public Health septic system website.  This site contains the following information and applications related to sewage (septic) systems:


Information Package
Your Septic System Friend


Installation or Alteration
Inspection of Existing Septic Systems
Copy of Sewage System and/or Installation Report

 Where do I get a building permit?
To apply for a Permit to Construct or Demolish you will need to fill out an application and submit it along with other identified supporting documents. Go to the Building Permits page to ensure you fully understand what you will need. From there, you will be directed the online Cloudpermit e-permitting system page. If you require assistance please contact the building department at 705-932-9347.
 Do I need a building permit?
Most projects will require a building permit. Information on when you need a permit is available on the Building Permits page
Can I build a shed on my property?
Section 11.4.2 of the Township's Zoning By-law outlines provisions for Accessory Buildings and Structures.  You should confirm the zoning of your property to understand any additional regulations that may apply to the lot coverage and height of the accessory building.  You can find the zone category for your property:
 Do I need a building permit for a swimming pool?
 Yes.  For a swimming pool, applications are submitted through the online Cloudpermit e-permitting system.
Do I need a building permit for a sign?
All signs in the Township are now regulated by the Township of Cavan Monaghan's Sign By-law.
If you are considering installing a sign or changing a sign, it is important to know what the rules are.
Before submitting a sign permit application, please read and understand regulations for signage.  Click here for more information on signage regulations.
 How long does it take for a permit to be issued?
A complete building permit application is usually processed within the following number of business days, based on the building classification of the project listed below: 
  • Single-family dwellings – 10 business days
  • Small buildings other than houses – 15 business days
  • Large buildings – 20 business days
  • Complex buildings – 30 business days
Incomplete applications will not be processed or issued until all zoning and planning approvals and along with all other relevant information and applicable law requirements are completed. These applications are exempt from the timelines listed above.
Public Works
 Does the Township of Cavan Monaghan have any load restrictions on their roads?

The Township of Cavan Monaghan applies load restrictions during the "spring break up" period when a road base is at its weakest condition as ground frost thaws and melts. Signs will be posted for March 1st, 2021 and will be removed on May 1 or when it is deemed that the restrictions are no longer needed.

Periods of reduced vehicle loading is enforced on select Township roads that may be susceptible to damage.  Load restrictions apply only when the signs are displayed on the roadway. 

Vehicles exceeding the 5 tonne per axle load restriction must take alternate routes or will be subject to penalties described in the Highway Traffic Act.

 How do I report a dead animal, or fallen tree on a Township Road
 You can report a problem or concern through our website or by calling our Public Works Clerk 705-932-9323
I have just built a new house how do I get a 911 address?

The Township of Cavan Monaghan municipal addresses are assigned at the time an entrance permit is approved. Civic addresses are numbered based on the placement of the driveway.

There is a fee of $55.00 plus applicable taxes for administration and the placement of a green metal blade civic address sign at the property entrance.

Generally, even numbers are assigned to the north and west sides of the road and odd numbers are assigned to the south and east side of the road. However, this is not always the case as some numbers were assigned to properties prior to the amalgamation of the three townships in 1998 and adoption of the numbering policy.

For information regarding 9-1-1 numbering, please contact the Public Works Clerk at 705-932-9323

Climate Change
The Township of Cavan Monaghan adopted their Climate Change Action Plan with a goal to reduce our Corporate GHG emissions by 29% by 2031 and our Community GHG emissions by 31% also by 2031.  The action plan was categorized by Corporate Actions and Community Actions.  Some of the strategies and corresponding activities are itemized below:
 Strategy: Enhance operational efficiency of existing buildings
  • Staff do a regular facility inspection to identify repair and efficiency upgrade requirements; Applied for funding for retrofits to the Old Millbrook School to make an older building more energy efficient; have replaced windows
  • Lights are replaced with more energy efficient alternatives
Strategy: Build municipal facilities to ensure high environmental performance
  • Section 3.6 of the Township's Official Plan (Energy Conservation) requires that all buildings in excess of 600 square metres to meet a LEED Silver or better design standard; Section 3.15 specifically defines Council considerations for development of industrial, institutional, commercial and multiple residential buildings specifically related to LEED Design
  • The Cavan Monaghan Community Centre (CMCC)was built to a LEED Standard
 Strategy: Improve environmental performance of existing municipal facilities
  • Appliances within the CMCC are all EnergyStar rated
  • Renovations to the Municipal Office included the upgrade of insulation to improve heating and cooling systems.  
  • Recently upgraded the windows of the Old Millbrook School to more energy efficient models.
 Strategy: Utilize renewable energy sources
  • Public works have installed eight solar panels across the Township 
 Strategy: Improve energy efficiency of the streetlighting system
  • Exterior lighting in downtown Millbrook has been retrofitted to more energy efficient models.  

Strategy: Reduce the amount of organic waste generated through municipal operations

  • Municipal Office has been equipped with source separated containers including organic waste.
Workplaces and Schools: Strategy: Improve energy and water efficiency of existing buildings and business operations

We have a Community Improvement Plan (CIP) for downtown Millbrook that offers Financial Incentives for Building & Site Improvements including windows, roofs and doors.

Homes: Strategy: Build new homes to be more efficient and have a smaller environmental footprint
  • We have provisions in our Official Plan supporting alternative energy: Specifically, Section 3.2; Section 3.22 Urban Design Guidelines and Section 4.1.7 Residential Urban Design Guidelines
Homes: Strategy: Reduce the amount of waste generated by residents that contribute to greenhouse gas emissions
  • The Township of Cavan Monaghan started a pilot Organic Waste program for Millbrook area residents in November 2019.
  • Molok's have been installed at the Transfer Station for all Township resident to dispose of their organic waste.
Workplaces and Schools: Strategy: Facilitate climate change friendly business operations and practices
We have approximately ten (10) businesses that have signed on to the Sustainable Peterborough partnership program. Through this program businesses commit to support the Sustainable Peterborough vision and consistently act towards becoming more sustainable.
Workplaces and Schools: Strategy: Support local economic resilience and growth of the local green economy
  • In September 2020 Peterborough County Council passed a motion to enter into a pilot partnership agreement with Peterborough Green Up to support achieving the community targets as a collaborative, that were established within the County, Townships and 2 First Nations
  • The result of that was the formation of a Community Advisory Group to assist GreenUp and the County in implementing and executing actions, strategies and deliverables that will meet CCAP Objectives. Township Staff are part of that committee
  • To date three key initiatives the Committee has focused on to date:

• Home Retrofit Video Series
• Green Economy Peterborough
• County School Climate Action Guide

On the Move: Strategy: build an active transportation network and support active transportation

  • We added Station Trail to our Millbrook Valley Trail System – a 1.6 km trail that connects the new subdivision to downtown 
  • We added a community bike rack on King Street in Downtown Millbrook 
  • We are part of the Kawartha Cycling Route 
  • We actively work with developers to encourage/require the installation of sidewalks and connections to our trail systems as a way of making our community more walkable.
  • Section 12.2.15 of the Township's Zoning By-law currently requires bicycle parking for retail, personal, institutional, industrial, public and private school and dwellings or mixed use buildings with more than 6 dwelling units.

Our Food: Strategy: Support localization of the food system

  • We have a community garden located at the Old Millbrook School
  • The Millbrook Farmers Market has added more dates to their schedule and use the parking lot of the Old Millbrook School.

Our Land: Strategy: Protect and enhance natural assets

  • The Township recently adopted a Tree Preservation Policy.
 When are my property taxes due?
Property taxes are billed twice each year. The Interim bill is mailed the last week in January and the Final bill is mailed the first week in July of each year. Payments are due on the instalment due dates and payment options are available.
There are four tax installment due dates:
  • February 28
  • May 31
  • August 31
  • October 31
 How can I pay my taxes?
 The Township of Cavan Monaghan has a variety of payment options available to pay tax, water and wastewater or any other municipal bills.  For more information please visit our payment options page on the Township website.
 How much will my taxes be?
 Current and previous municipal tax rates are available on the Township's website.
 Am I eligible for any rebates?

Low income seniors and low-income persons with disabilities may be eligible for a tax rebate of up to $200.00 in any given year. A full outline of eligibility can be found on the Relief of Tax Increase Application Form

Tax Relief for Seniors and Low-Income persons with disabilities

How can I find out how the Municipality is spending my tax dollars?

Each year the Municipality is responsible for determining the costs of providing services to residents in the form of a budget. The budget contains estimated revenues and expenditures for the Municipality for a given year. The budget serves as a guide for Council and Staff to ensure they are providing services in an effective and efficient manner.  A copy of the current year's budget and consolidated financial statements are available on the Township's website.