Hosting an Event

Having a Wedding or Special Event?

Please review the enclosed information about complying with applicable fire safety requirements.

Municipal Information for Non-Commercial Private Events.

Use of Farm Building

When farm buildings are used to host events such as dances, weddings, concerts, gatherings, etc. the building use is classified as "assembly occupancy". Buildings used for an assembly occupancy must comply with applicable fire safety requirements in the Building Code and Fire Code. Assembly occupancy requirements in the Building Code and Fire Code deal with fire and life safety features, such as exits and means of egress, fire separations, flame spread ratings, fire alarm and detection systems, and sprinkler systems, as appropriate to the use of the building. These features, along with controls on fire hazards and implementation of emergency procedures, are needed to ensure the safety of occupants in the event of a fire emergency. Persons attending assembly functions in farm buildings that lack such features and controls may be at serious risk in the event of a fire emergency.

To use a farm building as an assembly occupancy contact the Cavan Monaghan Chief Building Official, Kyle Phillips, 705-932-9319 (this should have a link to the Chief Building Official contact information) for a change of use and applicable requirements.

Use of Tent and Air-Supported Structures

Ontario Fire Code - Tent Requirements:

Tents and air-supported structures shall be in conformance with the Building Code and having a flame resistance rating certified to CAN/ULC-S109 "Flame Tests of Flame-Resistant Fabrics and Films", or NFPA 701, "Fire Tests for Flame Propagation of Textiles and Films". The Fire Code does not apply to tents that have an area of 30m2 (322sqft) or less and that are used for camping, personal or other non-commercial uses.

Fire Department Access

  • Access shall be provided to all tents for the purpose of firefighting.

Flame Proofing Treatments

  • Flame proofing treatments shall be renewed as often as necessary to ensure that the material will pass the match flame test in NFPA 705, "Recommended Practice for a Field Flame Test for Textiles and Films

Combustible Materials

  • hay, straw, shavings or similar combustible materials shall not be used within a tent or air-supported structure used for an assembly occupancy.


  • Smoking shall not take place and open flame devices shall not be used in a tent or air-supported structure unless provisions have been made for such activities under the fire safety plan.

Fire Alarm System

  • If a tent or air-supported structure does not have a fire alarm system that conforms to the Building Code (a) it may have an approved fire alarm system that does not conform to the Building Code where the reliability and performance of the system will provide an adequate early warning level, or (b) a person shall be employed for firewatch duty, and an approved communications system shall be provided.

Fire Watch Duties

  • A person employed for firewatch shall be familiarized with all fire safety features, including the fire safety plan and the condition of exits, and patrol the area to ensure that the means of egress are kept clear and that regulations are enforced.

Ontario Building Code - Tent Requirements:

Division C indicates when a tent needs a permit or group of permits:

(5) A tent or group of tents is exempt from the requirement to obtain a permit under section 8 of the Act and is exempt from compliance with the Code provided that the tent or group of tents are,

(a) not more than 60 m2 (646 sq.ft) in aggregate ground area,

(b) not attached to a building, and

(c) constructed more than 3 m (9'-10") from other structure.

For more information of Building Code requirements i.e. means of egress, clearance to other structures, clearances to flammable material, bleachers, sanitary facilities, provisions for firefighting, electrical systems, contact the (Cavan Monaghan Chief Building Official, Kyle Phillips, 705-932-9319.)

Patio Heaters

Knowing how to use patio heaters and open-flame appliances safely will help everyone enjoy outdoor dining and socializing — while avoiding the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and fire, if used improperly.

Patio Safety Guidelines

Campfires/Brush Permits

All persons setting an Open Air Fire in the Municipality must first obtain a Permit from the Fire Department as per By-law No. 2023-25. Applicable rules and conditions apply. Contact the Fire Department Administration at 705-932-2765 link for more information.

Liquor Licence Requirements

For information and requirements to obtain a liquor licence visit the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario or by phone at 1-800-522-2876.