Building Permits


Learn how to apply for a building permit in the Township of Cavan Monaghan.

Before you get a building permit

Before you apply for a building permit, please contact the Planning department by using the Land Use Inquiry form.  This will ensure your project will meet all the requirements of the Zoning By-laws. Without taking care of those things, it could delay or in some cases even change or stop your project.

Why you need a building permit

We want you to be safe and healthy. The inspections required by the permit will make sure of that.

You will also be obeying all the legal requirements for your project.

When you need a permit

Most projects will need a building permit. Here are some lists you can check:

This is when you need a permit:


  • Accessory building which is more than 10 sq. m. (108 sq. ft.)  
    The following size exception applies to a storage shed only. Any one or more of the conditions below will trigger a the need for a building permit. 

    •  Is not more than 15 sq. m (161.5 sq. ft.).
    • Is not more than one storey in building height.
    • Is not attached to a building or any other structure.
    • Is used only for storage purposes ancillary to a principle building on the lot.
    • Does not have plumbing.
  • Additions
  • Alterations which affect the structural design
  • Attic finishing for living or storage space
  • Backflow preventers for lawn irrigation systems
  • Basements – new or repairs or finishing for living space
  • Brick veneer installation or replacement or major repairs
  • Carports
  • Chimney installation or masonry chimney repairs below the roof line
  • Decks greater than 600 mm (24 inches) above grade, or attached to the building, or serving the principal entrance
  • Demolition of a building
  • Dormers
  • Fire Damage (structural)
  • Furnace and ductwork replacements
  • Garages, shops, sheds – attached or detached
  • Insulating exterior walls – new or when interior or exterior cladding removed
  • Irrigation system installation
  • Plumbing
  • Porches
  • Private sewer systems and water service
  • Septic to sanitary sewer conversion
  • Signs - all signs not specifically exempt by the Sign By-law.
  • Solar panels – roof mounted
  • Sunrooms, Solariums
  • Walls – adding or removing to change room size or use
  • Tents – for events
  • Temporary trailer
  • Wood or solid fuel stoves and furnaces

Commercial, industrial, and institutional

  • Any new building larger than 10 sq. m (108 sq. ft.) See size exception for sheds in Accessory Buildings
  • Additions to any building having a combined area of 10 sq. m (108 sq. ft.) or more
  • Back flow preventer installation
  • Change of use where construction is proposed or fire hazard is increased
  • Finishing interior of building shell for tenants (occupancies in commercial or industrial malls, office buildings etc.
  • Fire and water damage repairs affecting fire separations, exits or structural capacity.
  • Fire protection systems - Sprinkler, standpipes, fire alarms installations and major alterations
  • HVAC installations or major alterations
  • Plumbing installations or alterations
  • Renovations within a floor area affecting fire separations, exits or structural capacity
  • Retaining walls exceeding 1 m (3ft 3inches) in exposed height adjacent to public property, or to an access to a building, or on private property to which the public is admitted
  • Signs - all signs not specifically exempt by the Sign By-law
  • Signs attached to a building 115 kg (253 lb.) or more.
  • Signs on the ground over 7.5 m (24.6 ft) high above the ground.
  • Signs projecting from the building and attached to a parapet of a building.
  • Storm and sanitary sewers, water service, catch basins, weeping tiles, cleanouts, change from septic to sanitary sewer
  • Tents greater than 60 sq. m (645 sq. ft.)

This is when you do not need a permit:

Residential and non-Residential

  • You do not need a building permit if your accessory building is less than 15 sq. m (161.5 sq. ft.).
    The following applies to an accessory building which does not need a building permit. Any one or more of the conditions below will trigger a the need for a building permit. 

    •  Is not more than 15 sq. m (161.5 sq. ft.).
    • Is not more than one storey in building height.
    • Is not attached to a building or any other structure.
    • Is used only for storage purposes ancillary to a principle building on the lot.
    • Does not have plumbing.
  • Air conditioning units or heat pumps added to existing forced air systems
  • Basement damp proofing
  • Decks less than 600 mm (24 inches) above grade and not attached to the building, and not serving the principal entrance
  • Eavestrough, soffit, facia installation or replacement, cladding of openings
  • Electrical work (be sure to get an electrical permit)
  • Fences (other than for swimming pools)
  • Forced air furnace replacement with no duct work alterations
  • Kitchen or bath cabinets without plumbing
  • Landscaping
  • Masonry repairs that are minor
  • Painting and decorating
  • Plumbing fixture replacement
  • Pool heaters (be sure to get an electrical permit)
  • Roof shingle or steel replacement
  • Siding replacement
  • Signs - only those that are specifically exempt by the sign By-law
  • Window and door replacement where there are no structural changes

If your project is not listed, or you are not sure, please contact us.

Apply for a building permit

Permit applications are only being received through the online Cloudpermit e-permitting system.

To apply for a Permit to Construct or Demolish, a swimming pool permit, a sign permit, a temporary event tent, or a temporary trailer permit ,  you will need to submit your application along with all the required attachments.  

The owner of the property is responsible to apply for the permit. You can appoint someone else to do this by using the authorized agent form.

What to submit with your application?

Depending on your project, you may need to submit the following:

  • Completed permit application. Please see the Cloudpermit page for instructions.
  • The following attachments in Cloudpermit will need to be digital format. Usually .pdf
  • Construction drawings. 
  • Schedule 1 completed by the building designer.
  • Energy Efficiency Design summary (EEDS) completed by the building designer
  • Site plan or survey showing lot drainage and dimensions from structures, well and septic to their respective lot lines and each other.
  • Details of engineering and mechanical systems.
  • Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning (HVAC) design by a qualified designer.
  • Schedule 1 completed by the HVAC designer.
  • Septic permit (for new houses and possibly additions in un-serviced areas).
  • Entrance permit for a new driveway entrance.
  • Other applicable permits gathered from the requirements of the Planning department.
  • Signed Authorized Agent form if you are applying for the owner.
  • Demolition Utility Disconnect sign off sheet.
  • Commitment To General Reviews By Architect And Engineers form.
  • Additional information as required by the type of permit. 


  1. The cost of a building permit depends on the type and size of the project. View our building department services fees on the Building Department Services page of our User Fees and Charges By-law.
  2. If you are building where you will be connecting to the town water services, or must replace your water meter, there is a charge for the meter. Please contact us for current pricing.
  3. If you are building on a new property or putting a building on a property which has not had a building before, you will need to pay three development charges.

These charges are explained in the following documents:

Inspection requests

You will need to have your project inspected.

Learn how you can get more details about inspections and how to request an inspection.


Please see our Building Permits Information Pamphlet for more information and other agency contacts.