“Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™”

Burning pots

As part of Fire Prevention Week , the Township of Cavan Monaghan's Fire Department is urging everyone  to take some simple steps to prevent kitchen fires in their home. This year’s theme of Fire Prevention Week, which runs from October 4-10, is “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™”

The theme is very timely as cooking fires continue to be the leading cause of home fires in Ontario. It focuses on the prevention of cooking fires and staying fire safe in the kitchen.

Simple steps to serve up fire safety in the kitchen include:

  • Always stay in the kitchen when cooking and turn off the stove if you must leave the kitchen.
  • Keep a proper fitting lid near the stove. If a pot of oil catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn off the stove. Do not move the pot. Never throw water on a burning pot.
  • Keep anything that burns - plastic utensils, dishcloths, paper towels - a safe distance from the stove.
  • Cook responsibly. To prevent cooking fires, you must be alert. You will not be alert if you have consumed alcohol or drugs.
  • Wear tight-fitting or rolled up sleeves when using the stove. Loose, dangling clothing can easily catch fire.
  • Keep young kids one metre away from the stove. Turn pot handles away from the stove’s edge so they can’t be easily knocked off.
  • If you burn yourself while cooking, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes. If the burn is severe, seek medical attention.

"Often when we're called to a fire that started in the kitchen, the residents tell us they only left the kitchen for a few minutes. But that's all it takes for a dangerous fire to start. Help keep our community safe by preventing fires from starting in the first place.”  says Fire Chief Bill Balfour!

For more information please contact the Cavan Monaghan Fire Department at 705-932-9344 or services@cavanmonaghan.net.