Municipal Complaint Policy
The Township has a variety of complaint handling processes, but no overall formal policy. It is important to note that all departments receive complaints directly by phone, email, in writing and in person. Most complaints are handled and resolved favourably by each individual department.
To strengthen the Municipality's complaint handling process, it was recommended that there be a more formal and centralized coordination of complaint tracking and resolution. Not only is it important that the Township have a complaints process available for the public, it is important that such processes be well documented and accessible.
On April 17th, 2016, Council adopted By-law No. 2016-23 being a by-law to establish a Municipal Complaint Policy. This policy is intended to enable the Township of Cavan Monaghan to promptly and effectively address program and service delivery concerns raised by members of the public. The policy will assist the municipality in providing excellent service to the public, and contribute to continuous improvement of operations. The Municipality will strive to reduce customer dissatisfaction by:
- Providing a timely and accurate response to complaints; and
- Using complaints as an opportunity to improve program and service delivery issues.
A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction related to operations, a municipal service or program, facility, or staff member, where a citizen believes that the municipality has not provided a service experience to the customer's satisfaction at the point of service delivery and a response or resolution is explicitly or implicitly expected.
A complaint is distinct from:
- a request for service made on behalf of a citizen for a specific service, or to notify the municipality that a scheduled service was not provided on time;
- a general enquiry or specific request for information regarding municipal service;
- an expression of approval or compliment for a municipal staff member, program, product or process; or
- a suggestion or idea submitted by a customer with the aim of improving services, programs, products or processes.
This policy is not for complaints:
- regarding staff that are employed by a service provider contracted by the municipality, these employees shall be subject to the policies of that service provider;
- issues addressed by legislation, or an existing municipal by-law, policy or procedure;
- a decision of Council or a decision of a Committee of Council;
- internal employee complaints; or matters that are handled by tribunals, courts of law, quasi-judicial boards, etc.
Departments are encouraged to resolve matters informally as complaints are received prior to any written or formal process. Department Head's shall ensure all staff has clear direction and authority to resolve frontline matters.
It is the responsibility of the complainant to attempt to resolve concerns by dealing with the appropriate Township Department directly involved with the issue where appropriate. For a list of departments and appropriate contacts click here.
It is the responsibility of all Township employees to attempt to resolve issues or concerns before they become complaints, and identify opportunities to improve municipal services.
For details on how to file a complaint and how it is processed please see the Municipal Complaints Policy.
Municipal Complaint Form - this is a fillable PDF file. When you have completed it, save it to your desk top and please email to the Clerk: Elana Arthurs email@example.com.
It's your Township. Have your say. The goal of this site is to make Cavan Monaghan the best it can be. Share your ideas with us and the community. Feel free to add to, vote and comment on what's already here. After all, you know best. Click here to provide feedback!